Thursday, April 21, 2011

Real talk with Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza


It has frustrated me over the last few years to hear people refer to different types of "core" as their own category, I get it with hardcore, however, I lose interest when I hear kids talking about Mathcore, dancecore, screamcore and so on.  It is all 'metal' whether or not you are a fan of a particular band within the genre or not, it is all still metal to me. I do believe that personality makes a big difference in many things in life and music being one of them. I was introduced to the music of Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza early last year when my son asked me to take him to the show.  I listened to Danza II and agreed to take him. I first saw these guys at the Orpheum in Ybor City.  It was packed!
The initial conversation was with the drummer, Mike Bradley. We spoke about drums and his love for other types of music, influences, etc.  I then spoke with Jessie Freeland, the vocalist, whose conversation surprised me.  His first question was how my son was doing in school.  Our conversation lasted for almost an hour sitting on the curb outside the venue. One of the questions that I had was about his job outside of touring, when he is home and he shared with me his work with troubled youth. The conversation was more than interesting!
Moving on,  I asked about talking to the other guys in the band, but they had a rough tour and were asleep in the van. I kept in touch with Mike and Jessie and was anxious to see them again on the return to Orlando.

We adventured to Orlando for a riveting performance at Club H20, where they played with Oceano, Blind Witness and a few others and must say they killed it once again! So needless to say, when I got the notification Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza was heading back out on the road and St. Pete dates were secured, I made sure I would be there. Excited to see the guys again, we confirmed an interview to accompany the live shots I would be taking.  I met up with Josh Travis and Jessie Freeland before the show and spoke with him for quite awhile and agreed to continue the conversation after they played and we would get some 'promo' shots too.

We did just that, I spoke with Jessie for almost an hour and a half again while we waited for the rest of the guys to reunite at the van.  I know I promised an interview to be posted, however, I truly feel that the conversation that I had with Jessie and with Josh was more on a personal level and is not to be shared with the world. I have always been intrigued by the thought process of the human brain and the way people think and what makes them tick. The "interview" or conversation with these guys was truly more of a conversation between friends.  While there are a lot of great times on the road touring, it is not always the most glamorous or as interesting as people may think. These guys are real, genuine guys who have passionate hearts and truly want to make something of themselves and make a positive difference.  Josh is an incredible musician, who plays multiple instruments, not just that badass 7 string guitar, but he is also a writer and truly deserves to be recognized for his talent as well as the rest of the guys too. 

If you haven't heard of Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza before, you should check them out.  Josh Travis is a beast on the guitar!  Their musical tastes are broad and are the most down to earth people I feel I have ever truly had the chance to hang with.  They are not rock stars, but my friends. 







No comments:

Post a Comment